Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Home PageHomeLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

Intel core i5 "Lynnfield" CPU.

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
Weskie
Level Design
Weskie

Joined date : 2009-04-06

Intel core i5 "Lynnfield" CPU. Empty
PostSubject: Intel core i5 "Lynnfield" CPU.   Intel core i5 "Lynnfield" CPU. I_icon_minitime18/8/2009, 09:59

Times are interesting in the CPU market right now. It seems as if AMD will debuted its fastest-ever processor in the very near future, whilst Intel is forging ahead with the introduction of 32nm Westmere chips this year.

Right now, Intel controls the high-end desktop market with the Core i7 processor. We've been patiently waiting for the cheaper Nehalem derivative, Core i5, to be launched, based on spotting numerous Intel P55 chipset-based boards at this year's CeBIT trade show.

Core i5 - codenamed Lynnfield - takes the guts of Core i7 but cheapens it down by some by removing the third memory channel and by eschewing the QuickPath interconnect in favour of Direct Media Interface.

Now, Chinese website HKEPC is reporting that Core i5 will be released in speed-grades of 2.66GHz, 2.80GHz, and 2.93GHz. Like Core i7, they'll be manufactured on the 45nm process, incorporate 8MB of L3 cache, HyperThreading, and feature TurboBoost Technology. TDP is quoted as 95W, however.

No firm release date has been put forward for the LGA1156 chips, but what's disconcerting, if true, is the volume pricing of $196, $284, and $562, respectively, which kind of seems expensive in the light of the full-fat Core i7 920 currently going for $270 or so. Sub-3GHz clock-speeds at launch aren't going to light up a fire under AMD either.

Core i5 should take over the mid-range performance baton from the Core 2 Quad chips, and it will be interesting to see what AMD can do in response, especially if Intel's partners come out with ~£100 P55 boards
Back to top Go down
Syzgy
Pyrotechnician
Syzgy

Joined date : 2009-05-05

PostSubject: Re: Intel core i5 "Lynnfield" CPU.   Intel core i5 "Lynnfield" CPU. I_icon_minitime19/8/2009, 22:23

Weskie wrote:

Core i5 - codenamed Lynnfield - takes the guts of Core i7 but cheapens it down by some by removing the third memory channel and by eschewing the QuickPath interconnect in favour of Direct Media Interface.

So does this mean that these will use motherboards that run on physical memory by twos such as 2GB, 4GB, 8GB, etc., or will the stay with the 3GB, 6GB, etc.?
Back to top Go down
Weskie
Level Design
Weskie

Joined date : 2009-04-06

PostSubject: Re: Intel core i5 "Lynnfield" CPU.   Intel core i5 "Lynnfield" CPU. I_icon_minitime20/8/2009, 13:18

Syzgy wrote:
Weskie wrote:

So does this mean that these will use motherboards that run on physical memory by twos such as 2GB, 4GB, 8GB, etc., or will the stay with the 3GB, 6GB, etc.?

2GB, 4GB and so on.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Intel core i5 "Lynnfield" CPU.   Intel core i5 "Lynnfield" CPU. I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Intel core i5 "Lynnfield" CPU.
Page 1 of 1