Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Home PageHomeLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

Nvidia 300 Series

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
Weskie
Level Design
Weskie

Joined date : 2009-04-06

Nvidia 300 Series Empty
PostSubject: Nvidia 300 Series   Nvidia 300 Series I_icon_minitime13/5/2009, 10:57

I was talking to one of my friends today, and he told me Nvidia 300 series is in development. They should
be avalible around the end of 2009 (around the same times Windows 7 will be released.) They'll be DirectX 11, Shader Model 5.0 with an 40nm fabrication process.

Looks like I'll be buying *another* two cards before the year is out. Unless my 295's will work with DX11...fully.
Back to top Go down
Syzgy
Pyrotechnician
Syzgy

Joined date : 2009-05-05

Nvidia 300 Series Empty
PostSubject: Re: Nvidia 300 Series   Nvidia 300 Series I_icon_minitime13/5/2009, 13:34

sounds uber sexeh, and mr gohda, you're lucky because you actually have the option to upgrade if you choose. the downside of having an imac is i get no option to upgrade, and apple seems to be lacking in their video processing power as of late, as i've talked to you about before.
Back to top Go down
Weskie
Level Design
Weskie

Nvidia 300 Series Empty
PostSubject: Re: Nvidia 300 Series   Nvidia 300 Series I_icon_minitime13/5/2009, 14:00

Syzgy wrote:
sounds uber sexeh, and mr gohda, you're lucky because you actually have the option to upgrade if you choose. the downside of having an imac is i get no option to upgrade, and apple seems to be lacking in their video processing power as of late, as i've talked to you about before.

I know, you can't even buy the GT 120 for the older macs because they *need* DDR3 RAM to run.
Even if you got 4 of them, you'd have around... 80 something cores. The Nvidia 9600 has around that.
And wont even beat the 9800 GT. Even then, I *think* the card runs at a 500mhz clock. On the plus side though, the
GT 120's are meant to have better at animation/rending programs and photoshop. After all that is what they're best at/really made for. You could get an ATI card I guess though, but I hear bad reviews about them.
Back to top Go down
Syzgy
Pyrotechnician
Syzgy

Nvidia 300 Series Empty
PostSubject: Re: Nvidia 300 Series   Nvidia 300 Series I_icon_minitime13/5/2009, 14:04

not only that, but the ATI cards are rather sub-par for higher end things, so it seems rather odd that even the mac pros would have them considering they need the power
Back to top Go down
Weskie
Level Design
Weskie

Nvidia 300 Series Empty
PostSubject: Re: Nvidia 300 Series   Nvidia 300 Series I_icon_minitime13/5/2009, 14:08

Syzgy wrote:
not only that, but the ATI cards are rather sub-par for higher end things, so it seems rather odd that even the mac pros would have them considering they need the power

Yeah, a lot say you can't get good ones because of the power. I mean, you could get two ATI 2600 XT(they dont need power from the PSU, just from the PCIe slot.) for Crossfire, is it? But looking from reviews (because I had this card for my little PC to two Mxo's) it wasn't good, at all. Drivers was crap, it didn't like anything over 2x AA, screenfilters was buggy. Was just horrible. Now I looked at reviews of them in Crossfire, and you get LOWER performance in Crossfire. But then again, can the Imac chips do Crossfire? I don't know, we know they can do SLI, though.

Link to the Nvidia GT 120

it's specs: (GT 120)

GPU Engine Specs:
Processor Cores 32
Graphics Clock (MHz) 550 MHz
Processor Clock (MHz) 1400 MHz
Texture Fill Rate (billion/sec) 8.8

Memory Specs:
Memory Clock (MHz) 800 (GDDR3) and 500 (DDR2) MHz
Standard Memory Config 256/512 MB
Memory Interface Width 128-bit
Memory Bandwidth (GB/sec) 25.6 (GDDR3) and 16.0 (DDR2)

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Normal GFX card you'd find in a gaming computer (GTX 260)

GPU Engine Specs:
Processor Cores 192
Graphics Clock (MHz) 576 MHz
Processor Clock (MHz) 1242 MHz
Texture Fill Rate (billion/sec) 36.9

Memory Specs:
Memory Clock (MHz) 999 MHz
Standard Memory Config 896 MB
Memory Interface Width 448-bit
Memory Bandwidth (GB/sec) 111.9
Back to top Go down
Weskie
Level Design
Weskie

Nvidia 300 Series Empty
PostSubject: Re: Nvidia 300 Series   Nvidia 300 Series I_icon_minitime13/5/2009, 14:18

I just thought of something. How the hell could you play a game using that card on the 30" screen? Because it has a MASSIVE res, maybe yes, you could use that card to play games *if* you used a lower res, and with no AA, ect on.
But it's horrible to play games like that. Some games it'd not play at all!

Don't get me wrong, I love Imacs so much. And I'd totally get one if I didn't of make this Machine.
But the GFX Card is a massive let down.
Back to top Go down
Syzgy
Pyrotechnician
Syzgy

Nvidia 300 Series Empty
PostSubject: Re: Nvidia 300 Series   Nvidia 300 Series I_icon_minitime13/5/2009, 14:38

yeah, for you it would be a major downgrade after you made your beast of a machine. for meh tho, i suppose i can't really complain about the card considering just one mediocre card that i have now is better than dual ati x1600s i had in my old computer. one of the fans on one card made a mean rattling sound like it was dying or something and crossfire sucked completely. crysis was guaranteed lowest quality where now i can do a mix of some medium settings and some high. if i had the money, i'd totally buy a gaming pc to replace my old one just to be dedicated to getting the most out of games possible.

Also i see what you mean regarding the power issue for the imacs. afterall, they use like 120 watts of power or something compared to a gaming machine that might use 1000+. however, for the mac pros though, they run theoretically 16 cores on the nehalem processors, so you have a lot of speed coming from that, but then you end up with a graphical bottleneck in performance. at that point, why not just use a larger power supply if it was even necessary. i mean, i think you can upgrade a mac pro to four nvidia cards using sli, so why not give a more powerful baseline card since it's no secret that the mac pros have teh powahz!
Back to top Go down
Weskie
Level Design
Weskie

Nvidia 300 Series Empty
PostSubject: Re: Nvidia 300 Series   Nvidia 300 Series I_icon_minitime13/5/2009, 14:46

Yeah! <3 HT Tec, the new i7's are that too. I just wish AMD did it, but however! AMD is a little diff than other CPU's.
Like you said, I totally can't see why they can't put an GTX280, or 295. Man, think of them Imacs with an 295 in it, lol.
They'd blow so many gaming machines out of the water. But we do know they ARE going to put the 260's into the macs. What are very nice mid-rage gfx cards, you'd be able to play all the lasted games. Maybe Imac was using them new ones for the 'time being' until they made a deal with Nvidia for the 260's? But then again, because you say about the power. They need one 6pin and one 8pin. I think, I don't know if the Imacs have that--? So they'd have to reput in new PSU's in there macs. So the ones who brought the current mac, wont be able to upgrade and will be stuck with the GT 120. There is an GT 150, what's meant to be the 8800 GTS. What is not too bad I guess, but I've not seen them for Imacs, just on Nvidias site. But I guess Imac aim their macs at the more, Photoshop/Music/Animation types.
That's why the reason they have 8 cores, and now with HT tec, so they do stuff in half the time.
Back to top Go down
Weskie
Level Design
Weskie

Nvidia 300 Series Empty
PostSubject: Re: Nvidia 300 Series   Nvidia 300 Series I_icon_minitime15/5/2009, 08:46

Youtube review of the 9500 GT (same as the 120 GT in the mac)

clicky!
Back to top Go down
Weskie
Level Design
Weskie

Nvidia 300 Series Empty
PostSubject: Re: Nvidia 300 Series   Nvidia 300 Series I_icon_minitime15/5/2009, 08:50

Back to top Go down
Syzgy
Pyrotechnician
Syzgy

Nvidia 300 Series Empty
PostSubject: Re: Nvidia 300 Series   Nvidia 300 Series I_icon_minitime15/5/2009, 11:48

hate joo
Back to top Go down
Weskie
Level Design
Weskie

Nvidia 300 Series Empty
PostSubject: Re: Nvidia 300 Series   Nvidia 300 Series I_icon_minitime16/5/2009, 15:59

I guess, though. If you had the money, you could get this: FX 4800
Back to top Go down
Syzgy
Pyrotechnician
Syzgy

Nvidia 300 Series Empty
PostSubject: Re: Nvidia 300 Series   Nvidia 300 Series I_icon_minitime16/5/2009, 16:46

1.5 gb..../mindgasm
Back to top Go down
Weskie
Level Design
Weskie

Nvidia 300 Series Empty
PostSubject: Re: Nvidia 300 Series   Nvidia 300 Series I_icon_minitime18/5/2009, 20:52

This new set of cards, might actually be out more early than planned to beat ATI's new line-up.
Back to top Go down
Weskie
Level Design
Weskie

Nvidia 300 Series Empty
PostSubject: Re: Nvidia 300 Series   Nvidia 300 Series I_icon_minitime22/8/2009, 15:14

nVidia has released the overall chip design of the new 300 series graphics cards. Finally nVidia is pushing into a realm of graphics processors that we haven’t seen yet. If this chip design does well (and it should), the new architecture will become the standard for new graphics cards from now on.

The basic architecture released so far is the following:

1. 512 Processing cores in 16 32-bit structures.
2. The unusual thing about this new series is that the new processors will use MIMD’s (Multiple-Instruction, Multiple Data) instead of the factory standard SIMD’s (Single-instruction, Multiple data).

People are calling this new chip building process to be the next big thing. It should blow us away as far as speed, but it should also open a whole new division in chip architecture in which to expand the power of new graphics cards.

Also,

Macs will now have super-graphics support for the Mac Pros. As most games that were made to play on Macs doesn’t require huge graphic intensity, these new graphics cards will be made for most likely video production, illustration, and 3-D design.

These new GTX 285’s will be made by EVGA under the name of “Mac edition.” These new cards will ship with 1GB DDR3 video RAM and dual DVI ports just like any normal GTX 285.

Link to the GTX 285
Back to top Go down
Syzgy
Pyrotechnician
Syzgy

Nvidia 300 Series Empty
PostSubject: Re: Nvidia 300 Series   Nvidia 300 Series I_icon_minitime22/8/2009, 20:58

Weskie wrote:

Macs will now have super-graphics support for the Mac Pros. As most games that were made to play on Macs doesn’t require huge graphic intensity, these new graphics cards will be made for most likely video production, illustration, and 3-D design.

These new GTX 285’s will be made by EVGA under the name of “Mac edition.” These new cards will ship with 1GB DDR3 video RAM and dual DVI ports just like any normal GTX 285.

Link to the GTX 285
That is epic. I know the people who actually use Mac Pros for their insane processing power in the video compression phase and graphic design business have wanted more powerful graphics for awhile, I'm sure they had a mindgasm when they found out that the graphics power will actually be upped rather than lowered like with the most recent Pros

And since this is even more necessary now....
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Nvidia 300 Series Empty
PostSubject: Re: Nvidia 300 Series   Nvidia 300 Series I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Nvidia 300 Series
Page 1 of 1